Photo Printers

Join us as we discuss all things scrapbooking.

Photo Printers

Postby queenie7741 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:27 am

My old printer is dying a slow death. I am interested in a picture that will print photos from like 2x2 to 8x10 sizes. Does anyone have information about what is a good brand and how much they cost to use...like paper, ink, etc. Also, is there a printer that will do all that as well as print regular documents, etc. or am I asking too much?? Can you hook more than one printer up to your computer so you can have one for photos and one for regular documents? Obviously, I don't know much about this topic so I'm trying to do some research. Thanks so much for any help you can provide!!!

Queenie7741
queenie7741

Re: Photo Printers

Postby trose on Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:59 am

I have a laser printer (which is also a scanner and fax) as well as my photo printer hooked up to my computer.

For photo printing I have used a Canon i960 for the last several years and I love it. There are 6 ink cartridges. The individual cartridges are about $13 to $14 I think. They do tend to last a long time, at least they have for me.

I've printed a lot of pictures with this printer from very small to 8x10 and have been really pleased with the results. Oh yeah, it will print regular documents as well.

As for paper, it depends on what you are using. I usually use Kodak photo paper that I get in packages from Sam's Club. I think the last time I bought it the price was somewhere around $25-$30 for 200 4x6 sheets. I print a LOT of 4x6 pictures and with these packages, I am not constantly running out of paper. The quality has always been good also.

Hope this helps a little. There are a lot of choices out there. Good luck!

Tami
trose

Postby babymomma on Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:37 am

I am also looking to upgrade my printer. I was looking at Consumer Reports regarding brands, etc. Several of the HP all in ones (copy, print, scan) ranked high. I was shocked to learn that the cost print a 4x6 picture is at least $.35 and goes up from there depending on printer brand. I also know that the HP brand now has printers with individual color cartridges that cost around $15 or so. I also saw that they have a new wide format printer too that will print sizes larger than an 8x10.

I've always used HP printers & HP paper and have been very happy with the quality. Hope this helps!
babymomma

Postby readmorebooks on Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:44 pm

I like HP printers but don't have a photo printer, so I can't be too helpful!
readmorebooks

Postby Susan5555 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:48 am

Hi there,
I was a devout HP fan and had many HP printers until I finally got fed up with the poor customer service. When I was moving last year I decided to treat myself to a new photo printer..did a lot of research and the name that kept coming up was ..Epson...my friend has a graphic design business and that is what they use as well. Epson has a number of wide format printers...I choose the Photo 1400..got a great price on it as the retailer had it on sale and the Epson website also had a mail in rebate. It has 6 ink cartridges and replacements are about $15. each. I haven't used the wide format, yet. To be truthful..I printed 8X10's on the Epson and my husband''s Hp..I thought the HP was a more true color match...but it may be that I have to calibrate my computer...but here's the thing..while I was buying the Epson, my husband convinced me to buy the Epson Picturemate...LOVE it...yes, it has limitations but it is good.
Susan
P.S. I print out ALL my pictures
Susan5555

Postby AndraHoffman on Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:59 pm

I have the Epson 1400 WF and the Picture Mate. I love them both!!
I've printed 2 13x19 photos so far, and they looked amazing!! I dont print that size very often though, and these were more like practice prints.
The Picture Mate gets used the most tho, and I always have extra ink left over when I run out of paper that comes in the package with ink cart...so I tried using Costco's Kirkland 4x6 paper with the PM and was surprised that this paper worked so well with the PM.
AndraHoffman

Postby skporto@yahoo.com on Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:22 pm

By now U have probably purchased a new printer. Yes you can hook up 2 printers I have one that I(HP) use just for photos (I only buy photo ink for which cost more) and 1(Lexmark) for anything else (which gets the cheapest ink I can buy). I would like to replace my photo one with a wide format with multiple ink cartridges because of the cost of ink and I am leaning to Epson.
If you have already bought one please let us know what you have purchased and how you like it.
skporto@yahoo.com

Postby dsellars on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:35 pm

Queenie 7741:
I was a die hard HP fan. Then I saw the Kodak printer and bought one as a family gift. We have had it for 3 months and are still on our first cartridges and we print a lot!!! I also was able to sample its use at a Scrapbook Convention and really liked the ease of use and the quality of photo printing was great. I found that HP photo printing started to fade. I haven't found that with the Kodak printer. The photos I printed at the convention are as true to color as the day I printed them. The biggest seller for me was the cost of ink refills. Under 25 dollars for BOTH color and black and white. I would suggest the Kodak website for a look at the printers themselves. I also remember that I saw that they say their pictures won't fade for 125 years but you would have to confirm that at the website. We have the 7250 and got it for under 130.00 on sale at Staples. I couldn't have made a better purchase.
Best of luck,
Donna
dsellars

Return to Scrapbooking & NSBR